The Lamaze Intimates Blog

Pregnancy Rules You Can Break

Have you given up coffee and sworn off shrimp all because you're pregnant? Well, you may not have to. There's a lot of rumors about what you can and can't do while you're pregnant, and it can get confusing.  

Read the full story from The Bump to find out if you actually CAN have a glass of wine at that upcoming wedding! 

But remember, always listen to your doctor's advice because no two pregnancies are the same.

6 Must-Have Items That Got Me Through My Third Trimester

The third trimester can be the hardest. Your belly gets bigger, the baby runs out of room and you find yourself having a hard time getting comfortable. It’s nearly impossible to do normal everyday tasks without your belly getting in the way somehow. By the end of the day, you probably feel like you've been put through the wringer! Thankfully, there are so many products on the market that can help ease some of these third trimester blues.

Read the full story from Babble to find out what the must-have items for the third trimester are.

6 Baby Naming Mistakes Most Parents Make

Think it's a cute idea to give all your kids the same initials? You may want to reconsider that idea. Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin polled 334 people and found that they were more likely to be mistakenly called a sibling’s name if the two of them shared an initial (Deb/Diana) or a final sound (Ben/Ayden), compared to names with no commonalities. 

While it might not seem like a big deal, this and other common baby naming mistakes can actually have long-term psychological consequences.

Read the full story from Fit Pregnancy to see what snafus you should avoid.

Why Postpartum Depression Never Really Ends for Some Moms

New research published in the Harvard Review of Psychiatry found that though symptoms of postpartum depression decrease over time, depression still remains a long-term problem for 30%-50% of affected women

Led by Dr. Nicole Vliegen at the University of Leuven, Belgium, researchers performed a critical review of the research on postpartum depression from 1985 to 2012. They focused on the course of postpartum depression during follow-up visits. When researchers analyzed the data from follow-up studies of women with postnatal depression, they found that scores for depressive symptoms decreased over time — but never totally disappeared. When they analyzed community-based studies, they found that at least 30% of moms with postpartum depression were still depressed up to three years after delivery.

Learn more about the research by reading the full story from The Bump.

7 Tips For Having A Natural Childbirth

A natural, unmedicated vaginal birth is an entirely achievable and reasonable goal for about 85% of pregnant women, according to Healthy People 2020. The other 15% have health complications that put them in a high-risk category where they’ll need certain interventions, such as a Cesarean section, to make birth safe, either for mom or baby. We know, however, that even though 85% of women are in the low-risk category for a vaginal birth, only about 67.2% of women in the U.S. have vaginal births according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. The other 32.8% have C-sections.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 61% of women having a singleton vaginal birth have epidurals. The other 39% either have an unmedicated birth or use a little pain medication. Some of these women go “natural” because there’s no time for an epidural or it wasn’t available. Many others, however, didn’t want or need it. 

If you’re hoping to go 'au natural' try following these seven tips from Fit Pregnancy.

HIS Crazy Pregnancy Symptoms!

Sometimes moms-to-be aren't the only ones craving strange foods and having wild pregnancy dreams. There are indeed fathers-to-be who experience sympathetic pregnancy symptoms, too!

When men experience pregnancy symptoms it's called Couvade syndrome. And, oddly enough, this condition isn't entirely rare!

Check out these Parents.com stories from couples who've both experienced symptoms during pregnancy.

Cold-Weather Sleep Tips for Baby's Safety

It’s a mother’s instinct to keep her baby safe and warm. Yet, despite frosty outside temperatures, resist the urge to overbundle your baby or to keep the nursery too warm. Several studies show that overdressing and overheating increases the chances of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). While it's natural to want to keep your baby cozy, being too warm is actually a risk for SIDS because your baby needs to be able to lose heat to regulate her system.

Experts theorize that overbundling a baby in a warm room can destabilize her breathing pattern and inhibit her ability to arouse and resume breathing normally.

Read the full story from Fit Pregnancy for tips to keep your baby comfortable and safe this winter.

Breastfeeding May Deter Arthritis

Breastfeeding could help stave off arthritis, a study has suggested. Mothers who choose to breastfeed their children are around half as likely to develop rheumatoid arthritis compared to women who have never breastfed, researchers said.

The study of more than 7,000 women, published in the journal Rheumatology, found that breastfeeding - especially for longer periods - was associated with a lower risk of developing the condition.

Read the full story from the Huffington Post.

The Mother Lode

A bonanza of potent disease-fighting compounds has been discovered in a surprisingly common source — the breasts of every nursing mother on the planet. Human milk, the only substance that evolved to feed and protect us, seems to contain a trove of medicines just now being unlocked by scientists.

At the forefront of breast milk’s potential lies a diverse set of sugar molecules called human milk oligosaccharides.

Learn more about how they play the role of microbial managers from the latest Science News article.

What You Can Do While Pregnant: 7 Surprising Things

Sorry, Mama, you’ll have to shelve the skis, miss out on the margaritas, and say sayonara to sushi for the next nine months. But before you feel too deprived, remember that with all of those “don’ts” come a whole lot of “dos” — some of which you might not expect.

Look no further than these seven suggestions, which are completely pregnancy-friendly and just might help you weather the wait for your wee one.